This soup is warming and low-fat, perfect for Halloween and delicious with pumpkin and cheese muffins!
Pumpkin, chopped into small blocks
1 onion, chopped finely
1 crushed garlic clove
2 potatoes or sweet potatoes, chopped into small blocks
I tin of butter beans, rinsed and drained
Coriander and Parsley chopped
1.2 ltrs vegetable stock
4tbsp cream, natural yoghurt or mascapone
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat the onion and garlic for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the pumpkin, butter beans and potato, leave to cook for a couple of mins, then add the stock.
- Season with coriander, parsley, salt and ground black pepper.
- Cover, bring to the boil then leave to simmer for 25 mins to make the pumpkin and sweet potato tender.
- Stir the milk into the soup, whiz in a blender or processor until smooth.
- Pour the soup back in the pan and warm through. Pour into bowls.
- To create the cobweb effect pour circles of cream and make lines using a knife from the centre to the outer edges.
These cheese muffins are perfect for dunking in with your pumpkin soup :)
275g plain flour
1tbsp baking powder
85g light melted butter
1tbsp caster sugar
100g reduced-fat mature Cheddar cheese
275g grated pumpkin
175ml semi- skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Stir the sugar, cheese, pumpkin and coriander into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and melted butter in a different bowl and then pour over the dry ingredients mix. Stir until combined and lumpy.
- Put 10 paper muffin cases in a muffin tin and fill with the mix. Sprinkle the tops with the seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until risen and firm. Eat warm with you soup!
And once you’ve emptied the pumpkins you can begin carving in your designs :D