Tips to getting organized ahead of prom dress shopping.
Shopping for your prom dress is something most people only do once in a lifetime – and since prom night is something a lot of people spend a big chunk of their high school career fantasizing about, the last thing you want to do is find yourself in a fluster and a last-minute rush for any old dress just before the big night because you’ve left it too late! With a bit of preparation, shopping for the perfect dress can be not only easy, but a fun way to learn more about the world of formal where while seeking the perfect look for you. Some things to keep in mind:
- How much cash can you splash? Whether you’re paying for the dress yourself or getting a little help, you’ll need to have your budget in mind or face disappointment – though creative touches like vintage accessories can help you achieve a great look without breaking the bank. Look out for student discounts, and if you are buying online or from overseas, be sure to check on delivery times!
- It’s never too soon to look: Some planners recommend starting to think about your dress no later than five months before prom night, but there’s no reason why you shouldn’t start the search earlier if you choose, checking out the latest friends, talking to your friends about their frocks and looking up prom dresses online and in magazines to get a better idea of the color and length of the dress that will be ideal for your body shape and skin tone.
- Don’t forget it’s about more than the dress. It’s going to be on you, not on a hanger so you before you start shopping around for dresses, you should think about what else will be involved in getting the perfect look from top to bottom. Your hair, make-up, shoes, jewelry and yes, even your underwear shouldn’t be afterthoughts! Before you can get ready for a fitting, it’s a good idea to have your shoes and underwear picked out already. Remember that shoes can make a huge difference to your night: While stilettos are stylish and eye-catching, they can get uncomfortable over a long night, and many girls choose to start the night off in heels before switching to flats later on.
- Be sure to get the right fit: Wrong measurements are one of the leading causes of dress disasters – including wardrobe malfunctions! You don’t want an errant tape measure to wreck your big night, so make sure your hips, bust, and waist have been properly measured and checked against sizing charts, not forgetting to factor in your bra and shoes! And alterations are not to be forgotten: Prom planners suggest you give yourself at least a month of “wiggle time” in case changes need to be made before the night, or even better, two.
- Know what you want: While some lucky people may be able to choose stunning dresses on the spur of the moment, most of us will need some time to think about what style, color, and fabric is perfect for them. And if you are going for an especially daring look, it is a good idea to make sure your micro-dress doesn’t fall on the wrong side of school dress regulations.
- Most importantly, try to relax and have fun while you’re shopping! While the choices and checklists might seem a little overwhelming. You’re getting a one-of-a-kind chance to pick out the perfect dress for the biggest night of your high school career, so make the most of it.