Name Blending 101: Everything to Know About The Process

It is common for the wife to adopt the husband’s name when they get married. If this is not something you like, you can always choose a different path. Precisely speaking, you have two options: you can either use different surnames or merge your names to create a surname that both of you can use. The latter is called Name Blending.

Being a new couple, you might not be aware of name blending. But worry not, we’re here to help. Find out everything about name blending in this article. 

Take a look. 

Stories Of I Do Leeds Wedding Photography

The Concept

Name blending refers to the practice of mixing or blending two names, usually surnames, together. You will often see two types of Name Mixings: Name Meshing & a double-barrel surname

The latter is the process of combining your surname and that of your partner using a hyphen. You both have to use that surname for the rest of your married lives. The surname Ross & Parker, for example, can be double-barreled to Parker-Ross or Ross-Parker.

Name Meshing is a more recent trend that involves combining names to create a new surname. For instance – Laughlin and Mckenzie can mesh as McLaughlin.

The Procedure

You are required to submit your double-barrel surname to your marriage certificate. This process is valid only if your names aren’t changed (or the spellings). 

Moreover, the process can be longer if you want to mesh your names to create an entirely new surname. To do this, you will need a Deed Poll. You can order one from the UK Deed Poll Office.

Why is Name Blending Trending?

Many people in the UK are opting for blended surnames. It is safe to say that this trend is growing like wildfires across the UK. Numerous celebrities and musicians have also opted for double-barrelled or meshed surnames. Alexa PenaVega & Helena Boham Carter are popular examples.

The Advantages

Name blending can be an excellent way to avoid disagreements between partners about the adoption of surnames. However, it can also have sentimental value for some people. This is a sign that they are beginning a new chapter in their lives with their partner.

How to Make The Blended Names Official

A Deed Poll would be necessary if you choose a new mixed surname. If not both, at least one of you will be required to submit it. You can get the deed poll from the UK Deed poll office.

You can have one of your surnames changed before you get married. You can then use your marriage certificate as proof of the name change. It is recommended that you request at least three copies for this purpose. 

This will allow you to submit multiple requests for name changes after the ceremony. You also have the option to change your surnames by signing a Deed Poll after your wedding. You can then tell the person toasting your wedding how to address and include it in your ceremony.

Moreover, you must make arrangements at least four to six months in advance if you want to go on your honeymoon together with your new surname. Because in this instance, you will need a PD2 application and a request to renew your passport.

However, you can opt for a double-barrel surname if you do not wish to use a deed poll. You can do that by changing your name on your marriage certificate. 

However, you still have to inform government agencies, organizations, or governments of the name change. Your marriage certificate will suffice for the submission of necessary documents to these agencies.

Final Word

Name blending has gained a lot of popularity in the past few years. We are sure the tips mentioned in this article will help you to blend your names properly. 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *